When I grew older, my taste in music developed, and I began learning how to play the violin. After a few years, I learned the guitar. Of course, with learning music comes listening to it and I dove into all kinds of genres. Now music is a very powerful influence in the world of youth today. If it weren't for my dad, I don't know what would have happened to me if I had listened to the wrong kind of music. Lyrics are powerful they can really affect your view on life and how you live. My dad was wise enough to make it a rule that every single song I listened to had to pass through his standards. He'd ask me 3 questions whenever I'd bring a new song up to him.
2. Is the song too heavy? (My parents were very particular about this, they didn't really like me listening to rock music back then)
1. What do the lyrics say? Is the message negative or positive? (if there was cursing in the song, it was immediately "banned." Haha)
2. Is the song too heavy? (My parents were very particular about this, they didn't really like me listening to rock music back then)
3. Is there screaming? (metal and hardcore were definitely part of my playlist back in high school)
4. Would Jesus listen to that kind of song? (as a result of this, most of the music I listened to was Christian. I was into bands like Swtichfoot, Relient K, Jars of Clay, and of course Hillsong )
As I grew older, my parents grew more relaxed because they trusted me enough to have the discernment to choose my own tunes. Right now, I still enjoy Switchfoot and Hillsong, but I'm into bands like A Day To Remember, Four Year Strong, Foster The People, Saosin (I LOVE SAOSIN), and Run Kid Run.
My mom was the exact same way when I was kid, only towards my addiction to reality TV. Imagine having to justify watching The Bachelor, it wasn't pretty. She'd always ask me what about the show would forward me in life and if it made me a better person. Looking back, I probably should have listened to her because if I had become one of those people who mindlessly watch anything. Thank goodness for books! I guess selectivity is not just about what you want to see or in your case, hear, in the media, it's about what's best for you and could really help you in the long run.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, have you listened to Brooke Fraser? Listen to Shadowfeet! My favorite song for Him. :-)
This entry made me realize that the things i'm interested in now was because of what i was exposed to and what i wasn't! I mean, had i been more exposed to rock music, i'd probably like it more than the music i listen to now.
ReplyDeletePs: I love listening to HIllsong too. Goodjob!