Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Doughnut Like Economics

More often than not, we measure our relationships economically. We try and see how much THEY can benefit our lives and how much it will cost us to maintain the relationship.How much time, money, information, and dirty little secrets about ourselves. We often try to see if these people are actually worth our time. Thing is, that's really selfish. All we look for in people is how they can make us look or feel better. I don't really agree with this, so here is my take. I know that some of the readers here may or may not believe what I'm going to discuss in this blog, some of you might think this is total shizznits. 

However, this is what I believe.

2000 years ago, there was a man who was born in Bethlehem. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about. Jesus. He was raised by Mary and Joseph. People all over the years have called him a "good man", "a prophet", "a drunkard", "rabbi", and "teacher."

This is the part where I tell you what I know and what I believe in. I know that Jesus is the Son of God.
Jesus, before he was sent to Earth, was well, King of everything. (Parang kanta lang ni Sara Barillies eh no?)
When he went to earth, he had a great life basically. He was born into a simple family, not too poor, not too rich. He was a respected scholar during his time, a good teacher too. He had many students, he traveled a lot, had VERY MANY FRIENDS, but at the same time many enemies too. Still, if there was Facebook during his time, and you tried to add him, it'd probably say, "You cannot add this person. He has too many friends."

So I told you about Him. How does this relate? The Bible says that Jesus died on the cross to extinguish the penalty for our sins. 

Okay, I have a personal relationship with Jesus. Economically speaking, our relationship exactly the opposite of what we would consider an ideal friendship. The costs he paid far outweigh the benefits of our relationship. He gave everything. I mean everything. His earthly relationships, his social status, his family, his connection with God (the Bible says that God turned his face from Jesus when he was on the cross), his life. 

All for what? A piece of trash like me.

He says in his word, John 3:16 that he loves me for what I am. All the selfishness, the mistakes, the failures, the imperfections, the flaws, and my halfheartedness towards him. 

Honestly, I don't think I could like myself.

If you knew everything about me, I don't think you'd still want to see me every MWF in class. HAHA. 

Although Jesus even if knows everything about me, he still chooses to show grace and mercy towards me even if I mess up. It's basically like treating the person you hate the most like your best friend. Pretty tough. Still, I'm trying to learn this. I can't like everyone, but I want to show them the love the Jesus showed me. 
I pray something that goes like this, "Lord, you loved me first, so please help me to love other people like you do. Help me to see people like you see them."

So yeah. Economics? Bleh. I don't like Eco 102 honestly.

3 comments:

  1. It is quite lovely to hear a religious connection of what we learn academically. Your entry made me think a lot about how we always seek for rewards and alleviate costs in relationship when He doesn't - He loves us regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I never thought of applying the theories we learned in religious events that happened in the past. Even if you weighed out the Pros and Cons and the Cons are heavier, if it's for the people you love, you still go with it. Just like what Jesus did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I read this entry. I don't know if I show it, but this is pretty much how I view my relationship with Jesus. I love your "I can't like everyone, but I want to show them the love that Jesus showed me." Like what Issa said, I like how you put the theory into a religious context but still put it on a level that had to do with the relationships we have with people everyday. And you did this all without sounding too preachy. Well done, Josh! I look forward to more of your blog entries :-)

    ReplyDelete